The steps “married ” to the promises:
1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol; that our lives had become
We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness.
2. Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to
We will not regret the past, nor wish to shut the door on it.
3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as
we understood him.
We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace.
4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our
experience can benefit others.
5. Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear.
6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows.
7. Humbly asked him to remove our shortcomings.
Self-seeking will slip away.
8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make
amends to them all.
Our whole attitude and outlook about life will change.
9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
Fear of people and economic insecurity will leave us.
10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly
We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to
11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact
with God, as we understood him, praying only for knowledge of his will for
us and the power to carry that out.
We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not
do for ourselves.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these steps, we tried to
carry the message to alcoholics and to practice these principles in all our
Are these extravagant promises? We think not!!! They are being
fulfilled among us —- sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They
will always materialize if we work for them.
Download and Print: The steps married to the promises